According to the official data by IRCC, in 2020, Canada issued 215,080 work permits under the “Canadian interests” category. This category includes sportsmen, scholars, culture workers, and international graduates. This number is only 8% lower compared to 2019 when 233,430 work permits were issued. As for farmworkers, they made up the second-largest group. IRCC issued 54,145 work permits, a 6.1% decline compared to 2019. The number of TFW who needed LMIA dropped by 13% from 35,365 in 2019 to 30,890 in 2020. The biggest decline was for foreign workers under trades agreements and caregivers, whose number dropped by 31% and 49%, respectively. In total, 322,815 foreign nationals received a work permit under various temporary foreign worker programs, 10% less than in 2019.
- Canada increases the excessive demand threshold
- Canadian Government again extended travel restrictions
- British Columbia held a new draw in the Tech Pilot
- The new Hong Kong Pathway for Permanent Residency received more than 500 applications
- The government of Saskatchewan still accepts applications from international graduates
- Upcoming International Recruitment Events in New Brunswick