Since the relationship between Canada and China hit the lowest point from the time diplomatic ties were established, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship announced a new immigration initiative for Hong Kong residents in November. From February 8, 2021, the Canadian government started to accept applications of Hong Kong residents for three-year open work permits. “The ties that bind Canada and Hong Kong run deep. With many young Hong Kong residents casting their eyes abroad, we want them to choose Canada,” said press secretary Alexander Cohen. According to information provided by the Canadian immigration department, more than 500 applications were received within the first three weeks.
- Sudbury considered 12 applications in the Rural and Northern Pilot
- Nova Scotia invited 2 international graduate entrepreneurs under the new NSNP draw
- BCPNP issued 379 invitation in the new round
- AINP invited 250 candidates in Alberta Express Entry Stream
- The OINP issued invitations to apply in the Employer Job Offer: Foreign Worker Stream
- The Canadian-American border might be opened by late summer or early fall